How to install Ruby On Rails Without Connecting to Internet.
I always got a problem since my notebook are not connected to internet and in my office, the internet admin use proxy server for connected to internet. Well… before 2.x I was downloading alll the required gems to install / update new rails. Some websites told me to install proxy server … but i couldnt find any proxy server (it wasnot on the sourceforge anymore) A life without internet is very painfull lol …
well .. today i found an easy way to install Ruby On Rails with just downloading the stand alone packages. Here are the steps: (I assume you have Ruby and Ruby Gem installed already).Rails 2.x use rake 0.73
- Download the Stand Alone Packages (in Zip or Tar.Gz packages).
- Extract it on your directory
- You will have the directory contains many folder. Look at the vendor folder. It is where all you need to do installation 🙂
- There are some packages, like activesupport, activerecord, and railties (it is the rails core) etc. In each folder, you can see the pck folder. Inside the pck is hidden gem that you need for installation. Copy all the gems into a folder (let say it is temp folder)
- type in command windows: gems install rails -l (parameter -l means install localy). The gems will install the dependencies … and just wait it to be done. DONE !!!
You can also install one by one by compiling the install.rb but i have not tried it, it would be easier to install using Gem instead compile one by one 😉